If you look at the invoice for your job boards with horror every month (and wonder if they’ve added on too many zeros), then you’re not alone. If you are spending a huge amount with job boards each month, then you really need to be convinced that you’re getting a good deal, that you’re getting the right applicants for your roles and that you’re tracking the return on investment you’re getting. But, did you know that your own website has an absolute wealth of data and the power to generate brilliant candidate registrations without spending a small fortune with the job boards?
Here are some reasons why you should think twice before signing off the next invoice for the job boards:
- 70% of job searches start off on Google
- The actual number of job searches does vary (apparently the figure of 30% of all Google searches being job related is not entirely accurate), however the number in the UK alone will be huge
- With the launch of Google’s new machine learning and AI tools, they are clearly committed to helping job seekers find jobs that are specific to their needs
- The job sites are all listed on Google anyway, so your own website will be only 2 clicks away. And surely getting candidates to engage with your website and not a job site is the name of the game!
- They are a competitor which will target your applicant as soon as they press the apply key.
“The results have been outstanding for our user experience and resulting lead flow to our site.”
Leading US Digital Recruiter
“…our traffic went up almost 50% from month one.”
What does your website need to compete against the job boards?
- Make sure your jobs are signed up to the job sites. An FXRecruiter website will send your jobs to up to 14 job sites and Google for Jobs.
- Your jobs can also be sent to your social networks by FXRecruiter
- Make sure your job postings include lots of keywords – the things that job seekers will be searching for when they’re looking for a job. Read our advice in our blogs on Keywords & Key Phrases and Relevant Keywords.
- Make sure your website is optimised for conversion! This means, you want your candidates to see the role they are looking for immediately and ensure that it’s easy for them to apply. FXRecruiter websites allow candidates to build their own profile (so your recruitment consultants don’t have to) and they can do it via their social media profiles.
- With an FXRecruiter website, automated SEO is built in. This means your vacancies will compete well for longer-tail searches, such as job title and location.
- The Jobs Archive that’s built in to FXRecruiter means some older jobs can be kept in Google, which means traffic will continue to drive them to your site. Although they may not be able to apply for that role, it will suggest similar jobs or offer email alert signup.
- The XML sitemap on an FXRecruiter website ensures all your pages and jobs get listed in Google and Bing
How does this work in practice?
One Reverse Delta client who was spending over £100k every year on job boards, decided to implement a new website, and saw a 40% reduction in expenditure on their job board spend while increasing in both applications and placements.
The best practice is basically write really good job ads and follow our instructions on getting them listed wide and far.
What do our customers say?
“Our Consultants have noticed an increase in applications since migrating to the new site this summer. Highly recommended.”
Long-standing client – local recruiter
“Visitor traffic has increased a third since our new site went live and having the mobile-dedicated site too has helped keep applications coming in at a healthy rate. ”
“...the quality and quantity of candidates finding us through this route has increased dramatically.”
London-based IT recruiter
“We saw an increase in applications as a result. Our website appeared higher up in the rankings of the major search engines as a result of the SEO techniques incorporated into the design.”
Long-standing client on 3rd website with Reverse Delta
Should you ditch job boards completely?
No, we think they still have a place and niche sites will still have loyal candidates (ie: Jobserve for IT Contractors). And, it might be worth playing around with your current deal. Try out some of the tips and utilise your own website with relevant, key-word rich content and you’ll soon see what works and what doesn’t. And if the experiment doesn’t pay off, you can go back to your job board. And if it does pay off, well, imagine the amazing holiday you could go on with the money you save!
The clear emphasis from Google seems to be that the algorithms want to MATCH searches with relevant content. So, if you’re putting relevant content on to your own website, the power to attract your target candidate is completely in your hands.
If you’re interested in finding out how your recruitment agency could save BIG money by reducing spend on job boards, give the Reverse Delta team a call on 08000 199737 or email email@example.com